Friday, June 6, 2008

The ABC's of summer

I used to do the letters of the alphabet in the summer with my kids to get me motivated to do some fun activities with them, but we've had passes the last few years and have been busy with going swimming or to Lagoon or hiking so I haven't needed to do anything to get me motivated. This year however we didn't get passes anywhere and the weather has been to cold to go hiking so..... I decided to start this up again. We went to the Animal shelter for the letter "A" and played with the animals. I have to say that this was a lot of fun and very therapeutic! The kids loved it so much that when we left, they asked if we could do this every week! The Davis County Animal Shelter in Layton has a horse to so if you go, take some carrots and let the kids feed it!
For the letter "B" My sister and I taught the kids how to make banana bread. We also incorporated the letter "C" and taught them how to Cook Swedish pancakes and orange french toast. YUM!
Today I took the kids to the fabric store to pick out some material. I have been promising them that I would let them pick out their own fabric and teach them how to make pillow cases (something very easy since I'm just learning to sew myself) and they did a great job of sewing it all on their own with the exception of Austin. He did do all the sewing by himself it was the ironing that he was concerned about. I'm proud of them for wanting to learn something new and they did a great job! Kaytlin was very helpful with Austin's and I'm so thankful I have her...
Trenten even enjoyed this activity! He did it all on his own and when he was done, he said "it feels good to make something all on my own".
Of coarse Austin picked the skull fabric! I tried to get him to choose something with soccer balls on it but he was set on this one!?!? Between his dew rag and his fascination with skulls I feel like I'm raising a hillbilly? Oh well at least he's a cute one!

9 comments:

chelon:) said...

what a creative way to keep your family busy!! i would love to read your list to get some ideas :) have a wonderful summer...if you get this way, drop me a line!! xoxo

Heistermanfamily said...

I will email you a list but for the most part I just let my kids think of what sounds interesting to them? That way they are excited to do it because they thought of it themselves.

pamela said...

how fun! i've tapered off - i need to start it back up again. it's amazing how even boys love sewing.

lisa said...

you are awesome Rach! I never thought of doing the ABC's. And after this week, I really need something to keep them occupied!! Mind if I copy your idea??

Heistermanfamily said...

Trust me Lisa I'm not that creative I got the idea years ago from my cousin Natalie. I'm not sure who she got it from but I know other people that do it so it's been around for years. The ideas for the letters are really easy to come up with and everyone I know that does it seems to say that their kids really love it, even my Trent is having fun!

jodi said...

Austins pillowcase ROCKS! Where did you find that fabric, Gilly would love it. Sometimes its nice to take a break from passes.

cathy said...

everyday, Taylor asks me to take him to the animal shelter. Luckily my allergies won't allow it because it would be hard for me to come home w/out a dog for the Bear!

Natalie Winquist said...

Cute new background!! And way cute pillowcases! thanks for going to the treehouse with us- it was fun!! xoxo-nat

Allyson said...

There pillow cases & ties are way cute, and all thoughs cute animals they look like they are really enjoying themselves. Love Ya!